Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Family of man killed by police to file complaint seeking $2 million


The family of an unarmed man killed by Unified Police will file a complaint today seeking no less than two million dollars at a press conference in downtown Salt Lake City Wednesday morning (Photo: KUTV)
The family of an unarmed man killed by Unified Police will file a complaint today seeking no less than two million dollars at a press conference in downtown Salt Lake City Wednesday morning (Photo: KUTV)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

The family of an unarmed man killed by Unified Police will file a complaint seeking no less than $2 million at a press conference in downtown Salt Lake City Wednesday morning at 11 a.m.

Months ago, the Salt Lake County District Attorney ruled the deadly shooting of Bryan Valencia was not justified.

It's been over a year since the shooting of Valencia in Taylorsville. In March, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill ruled that the officer that killed him was not legally justified in using deadly force. He also said they will not be pursuing any criminal charges against the officer as the evidence doesn't support doing so.

Gill released a 24-page ruling detailing why the officer should not have used deadly force. Valencia's family said they are grateful that the shooting was ruled not justified but disappointed there will not be any criminal charges brought against the officer.

They said Valencia wasn't a threat to anyone when he was shot and killed.

Valencia had been sitting in his car whenUnified police officer, Omar Flores, said he disobeyed his orders, and his hands were moving by his waist, causing Flores to fear for his life and use deadly force. He shot Valencia six times.

His family argued that Valencia's hands were raised when the shots were fired and he wasn't reaching for anything.

The family said Bryan was a warrior, when training for a race, or working to improve his life. Now they are warriors for him, fighting for answers.He left behind an 11-year-old son.

Valencia's family and legal team will hold the press conference in front of the mural wall on 900 South Wednesday morning where a mural of Bryan is painted.

2News will be in attendance and continue to update the story as it unfolds.

Loading ...