International fugitive from Layton on the run for 2 years is apprehended in San Francisco

    On Wednesday, September 19, 2018, U.S. Marshals in San Francisco arrested Brian Helton, a wanted fugitive from Layton who'd been on the run since 2016. (Photo courtesy of U.S. Marshals Service)

    (KUTV) — On Wednesday, U.S. Marshals in San Francisco arrested a wanted fugitive from Layton who'd been on the run since 2016.

    Brian Helton, 45, was formally charged by Layton City police with sodomy, rape and aggravated sexual abuse of a child in 2016, according to a press release from the U.S. Marshals Service.

    Helton fled Utah around the time the charges were filed, and officials said he'd been on the run ever since in a journey to avoid arrest that spanned multiple continents.

    Reportedly, Helton was staying with a family friend in Davis County after moving from Chicago to Utah. While staying in the family's home, he sexually abused one of the children living just down the hall from him, the press release states.

    The abuse was committed on at least two separate occasions over a two-week period, until the child told their parents, marshals said.

    At that point, "Helton immediately packed up his few belongings, fled the state and went back to Chicago," according to the press release.

    That's when U.S. Marshals from the District of Utah were asked to get involved, and "the hunt for Helton soon turned into an international investigation."

    The lead U.S. Marshal fugitive investigator worked the case for two years, and eventually discovered Helton to be living in Thailand.

    Helton apparently began to suspect Royal Thai Police were getting close to apprehending him, so he fled again—this time to Japan.

    Japanese officials caught wind of the fugitive and reached out to U.S. marshals through Interpol, the press release states.

    Marshals were notified Helton was boarding a direct flight from Japan to San Francisco, and it was there he found officers waiting to arrest him on Wednesday.

    "Time may pass, but deputy U.S. Marshals never quit until we find our man," said U.S. Marshal Matthew Harris.

    Supervisor Deputy U.S. Marshal Derryl Spencer offered this statement:

    It doesn’t matter where in the world the fugitive chooses to run, they will eventually get caught.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...