(KUTV) A structure fire in Layton has left a home inhabitable and caused $35,000 in damages.
Douglas K. Bitton of the Layton City Fire Department said that officials responded to a call near 1400 N Hillsboro Drive around 12:26 on Oct. 8. When crews arrived, a mother and her three children between the ages of ten and sixteen had already evacuated.
The family told officials that their basement was filling with flames and smoke and appeared to be coming from their fish tank.
The 16-year-old son attempted to put the fire out with a towel, but was overwhelmed by smoke and heat. He was treated at the scene by medics with minor burns to his arm, foot and leg.
Crews were able to contain the fire to the basement family room and craft room. The structure received considerable smoke damage to the basement. Investigators are looking closely at a salt water fish tank where the fire appears to have originated from. Damage estimates are at $35,000.00. The family was offered Red Cross services but indicated they had nearby family to stay with. The home is not habitable.
The family was able to save their pet bird and fish.
Officials said the family was prepared with an operational smoke alarm that alerted all the family, and remind residents that smoke alarms are needed to be tested monthly and checked for a fresh battery every year. Smoke alarms older than 10 years need to be replaced with a new one.