Provo parents send warning after lead found in 1-year-old's blood

A Provo couple is sending a warning to parents after they went to their pediatrician and found something in their baby boy’s blood they never expected. (Photo: KUTV)

(KUTV) A Provo couple is sending a warning to parents after they went to their pediatrician and found something in their baby boy’s blood they never expected.

The Reinhardts are like many around the Brigham Young University campus, renting an apartment while going to school and building a family.

They have a son, William.

“He’s one year old; just turned one yesterday,” said William's dad, James.

When they took him for his for pediatric checkup, the doctor said he had elevated levels of lead in his blood.

James and his wife were shocked.

“We were a little bit nervous, just because we were wondering, 'Where did this come from? How long has it been there?'”

James said, right away, they looked toward the apartment the Lilac Place they were living in because it was older.

They grabbed some lead tests from the health department and started testing.

“Yep, there’s lead there in the kitchen, there’s lead there on the threshold, there’s lead in the bathroom," James said.

The law says tenants must be notified before moving in if there is any lead in properties. James said that didn’t happen, but the property manager said they didn’t know there was lead.

“We hope that something wasn’t willfully overlooked," James said. "I am all for believing people are good people, and they don’t want to cause harm. But if people are trying to save a buck, that would upset me."

James hopes now pediatricians will be more willing to run the lead tests, as his doctor did.

He hopes tenants all around the BYU campus will be aware of these older buildings, as well.

“Especially if you’re expecting on being pregnant, or if you have these young kiddos that would be more susceptible to damage,” he said.

He also hopes landlords and property managers will do lead tests and be aware of the apartments they are renting.

“I don’t think they would live in a spot that had lead, and we definitely didn’t want to, either,” James said.

KUTV reached out to Joseph Thomas Real Estate, the property manager for Lilac Place.

“We take all possibilities of lead being on a property seriously, and we will take appropriate action," David Morin, president of Joseph Thomas Real Estate said in an email.

If anyone wants to do their own testing, you can get lead test kits for $3 at local health departments.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending