Nobody harmed in Sugar House residential fire

Roads close following house fire in Sugar House. (Photo: Morgan Saxton / KUTV)

(KUTV) — Fire crews responded to a residential fire in Sugar House on Wednesday morning at 1956 S. 1300 E.

The call to 9-1-1 reported the smell of smoke emanating from the basement. The callers expressed concern for the safety of their 21-year-old son, whom they thought might be trapped in the basement where he lives.

However, the son was reportedly not at home.

Fire crews arrived to the scene within five minutes. The fire was "very small" according to a news release.

It was discovered that the son was not even inside the house at the time of the fire.

The fire began in a crawlspace. Fire crews were able to douse the flames "relatively quickly," according to authorities.

The cause of the fire, which was reportedly extinguished by 5:30 a.m., is still under investigation. No damage cost has yet been estimated.

1300 E. was closed between Westminster Avenue and 1700 South until 6:20 a.m. while crews cleaned up the scene.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending