Space heater blamed for Ogden house fire with $80k in damage


    Space heater blamed for Ogden house fire with $80k in damage (File photo: North Davis Fire District)

    (KUTV) -- A space heater which was plugged into an extension cord caught fire and did $80,000 worth of damage to a home in Ogden, according to fire officials.

    2News alerted viewers about the dangers of plugging space heaters into extension cords and power strips earlier this month.

    Deputy Chief Eric Bauman of the Ogden Fire District says the fire happened at a single family home at 1240 5th Avenue.

    The fire started around 4:00 p.m. Sunday and the Ogden Fire Department was able to put out the flames in about 25 minutes.

    One person lived at the home and is currently displaced.

    Bauman says this is a good reminder of extension cord safety.

    He said to only plug space heaters directly into the wall socket. Small extension cords can get overloaded.

    He also said do NOT run space heater when you are not at home.


    News In Photos

      Loading ...