SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A toxic algae bloom has closed popular reservoir in east-central Utah to fishing, boating and swimming ahead of the Labor Day weekend.
Authorities said Wednesday that thousands of fish called chubs have died in the area affected by the bloom at Scofield Reservoir, located near Price.
Southeastern Utah Environmental Health Director Brady Bradford says toxin levels around the bloom are at least five times greater than what is considered safe.
Bradford says the reservoir provides drinking water to about 15,000 thousand people in the area, but toxin levels are low to non-detectable in the part of the lake where the drinking water is drawn from.
The blue-green algae can cause rash and vomiting as well as release toxins that can cause nerve and liver damage.
A massive algae bloom closed Utah Lake earlier this summer.