Two families homeless after Grantsville fire

Two families homeless after Grantsville fire (Photo: Google Earth)

(KUTV) - Two families are homeless after a fire ravaged a duplex in Grantsville Sunday afternoon.

The call came into dispatch around 3:30 p.m. at 618 and 620 East Hunter Way.

Cody Painter with Grantsville Police Department says it appears the fire started after one of the homeowners left a lit cigarette on the back porch and the wind below it inside the house, which caught fire.

The fire is now out, but investigators are still on scene working on the damage.

There were two adults and a child in each unit making six total people without a home Sunday night. No one was injured. Some pet animals are also displaced.

The fire started in the 620 unit on Hunter Way where the cigarette ignited insulation between two floors.

The 618 unit suffered smoke damage and crews are working on making the home safe before allowing the family to go back home.

The Red Cross is currently housing the displaced families.

It took crews 10 minutes to put out the blaze.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off