Utah man dies after fire during Easter family gathering

Larry Webster, who died Wednesday, with friends on a Facebook image.

(KUTV) A Utah man has died from injuries he received during an accident at an Easter family barbecue.

According to a family Facebook page called "Loving Larry" and a GoFundMe page, Larry Webster died Wednesday evening from burns he received when his shirt caught fire as he lit a grill.

Family members rushed to help him and put the fire out with a blanket.

"Despite our quick efforts and the hard work of the first responders, his prognosis is slim," family wrote of the accident.

Close to 50 percent of the body of the retired teacher was burned and according to the Facebook page, many of those were third degree burns and his chances of survival were slim.

On Wednesday, on the Loving Larry Facebook page his family wrote:

Heaven gained another angel. Grandpa passed away at 2:32pm today. He was surrounded by his loved ones and the experience was extremely peaceful. He did not suffer.

His family told the Daily Herald he had a double knee replacement and wasn't able to easily drop to the ground. He was 73 and lived in Spanish Fork, Utah.

On the family's GoFundMe page it said Webster was in the burn unit and on life support. In an update there and on Facebook it said the family made the decision to take him off life support on the weekend if his condition didn't improve. Then on Wednesday, he passed.

"As many people know, Grandpa’s mom passed away when he was eleven. We know he will be over joyed to be with her and his dad again," the family wrote on Facebook.

The GoFundMe page is raising money for Webster's medical expenses.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off