Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilityStudent found 'semi-conscious' in Maryland school bathroom after taking gummy edible | KUTV
Close Alert

Student found 'semi-conscious' in Maryland school bathroom after taking gummy edible

Charles County Public Schools Administration Building (7News)
Charles County Public Schools Administration Building (7News)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

A student was found "semi-conscious on a bathroom floor" inside a Charles County school after consuming gummy edibles Wednesday, according to authorities.

Just before 11 a.m., the Charles County Sheriff's Office said the student was found inside a St. Charles High School bathroom and was rushed to an area hospital.

On Thursday, a school resource officer was made aware that the student consumed an edible in the form of a gummy lifesaver before being found. The sheriff's office says their initial findings indicate that the edible may have contained fentanyl.

After the incident, Sheriff Troy Berry is warning parents and urged them to "talk with their children about the dangers of ingesting foods or liquids that contain dangerous substances."

“I implore everyone to take part in discussions about ingesting edibles that may seem harmless to some, but on the contrary have the potential to be life-threatening. We are watching news stories day-after-day about children who consumed what they thought was an edible laced with marijuana, but instead has Fentanyl or other dangerous components," Berry said.

Deputies say the student was released from the hospital after receiving treatment.

Comment bubble

The incident is under investigation as the school resource officer works to find out where the student obtained the edible and whether or not other students may have consumed them.

Loading ...